Saturday, 22 November 2014

Amsterdam contrasted by Durgerdam

Sunday, 3rd August

Today is a relatively free and easy day, although we are due to move on to the small harbour of Durgerdam (14) to the east later in the day with an informal reception there at 17:00. This will entail keeping a watchful eye on the fast local marine traffic and larger vessels as we make our way to the "Sport" waiting pier (7) for the Oranje sluizen (8). The route today is just 6 Nm long but will take around two and a half hours with the lock and bridge waits.

My first priority (aside from getting my washing dry) is to re-provision the boat with fresh produce, so a trip across the river into Amsterdam city is necessary. Fortunately the water bus runs a frequent and free service from near the marina into Amsterdam Centraal Station and I take a mid-morning trip across, which also gives me the opportunity to check out the first part of my route to Durgerdam. I have not given myself time to do any sightseeing so content myself with taking in a bit of the city hubub that I have been free of for many days, do my essential shopping then take a return water bus to the marina.

Parking Amsterdam style!
One of the cycle parks at Centraal Station adjacent to the water bus landing.

On my return to Hyrst I find that my washing has dried and aired nicely in the sun, so take my smalls off the safety lines for the benefit of my neighbours view. Fortunately I am rafted alongside the Beaulieu River based pilot cutter "High Barbaree" and crew Tim and Liz, together with their Dutch guest, are far to polite to comment on my laundry line. Time for a relaxed lunch and some pleasant conversation with them about their particular voyage to join the tour.

The general view is that a departure from the marina at 14:30 will have us at Durgerdam in time for the reception given that it may be necessary for a large part of the fleet to anchor outside the harbour, so along with the majority I cast off at this time. As expected the journey does require keeping a watchful eye on the many fast feries and large barges that travel far faster than us, but is not unduly worrying.

Amsterdam marine traffic, plenty of variety.

 (photo. Barbara Runnels)

The passage through the lock and bridge passes smoothly for me and once again Hyrst is back in open water, albeit non-tidal. On approaching the entrance channel to Durgerdam I notice that several of the fleet are already at anchor and I prepare to do likewise, but as I turn into the channel I am instructed to go on into the harbour and follow the directions of the harbourmaster. The tour booklet does say that the harbour is small and that the arm to the right is "a cul-de-sac with very little space to manoeuvre", looks like another boat handling test! The HM, complete with megaphone, skilfully directs the steady stream of gaffers into position and in conjunction with a lot of good boat handling by the crews works a bit of a miracle and gets the majority of the fleet rafted up in the harbour.

View from the HM's pontoon as the rafting starts.
(photo. Barbara Runnels)

We can still see water, room for more on this raft!
Sven III, Hyrst of Eremue and Moon River in nearest raft.

(photo. Barbara Runnels)

The crew aboard "Susan J", a Heard 28 from Poole, showed their determination to continue with the cruise as they suffered worsening problems in getting forward propulsion under power, eventually loosing ahead drive completely.

Once again our Dutch hosts were on hand with a tow as required, this time berthing in Durgerdam.

The pontoons were not exactly walk-ashore, more like wind-your-way-ashore. Great after an evening of entertainment and/or an urgent need for the facilities! Hard to crank that handle cross-legged ;>)

 The floating-bridge link to shore.

The day was rounded off with the evening reception in the local yacht club with the food, drink and attractive location making for another enjoyable event. The knowledge that we were in a new phase of the tour added to the atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment